KC Skyline

City Clerk Web Search

Search the Ordinances:

Legislation #: 040376 Introduction Date: 4/1/2004
Type: Resolution Effective Date: none
Sponsor: None
Title: Authorizing and requesting the Mayor to submit a grant application under the State Services to Victims Fund to the State of Missouri in the amount of $66,697.60 for a Victim-Assistance Program.

Legislation History
DateMinutesDescription
4/1/2004

Prepare to Introduce

4/1/2004

Referred Neighborhood Development and Housing Committee

4/7/2004

Immediate Adoption

4/8/2004

Adopted


View Attachments
FileTypeSizeDescription
No attachment(s) found

Printer Friendly Version

RESOLUTION NO. 040376

 

Authorizing and requesting the Mayor to submit a grant application under the State Services to Victims Fund to the State of Missouri in the amount of $66,697.60 for a Victim-Assistance Program.

WHEREAS, the State's initial Victim Assistance Program was established by the Missouri's General Assembly under the auspices of the Department of Public Safety in 1981. The Services to Victims Fund was established under Section 595.100, RSMo, in 1988 and consists of money collected pursuant to Section 595.045, RSMo; and

 

WHEREAS, the Missouri Department of Public Safety administers the funds at the State level solely for the administration of contracts for services to victims of crime pursuant to Sections 595.050, 595.055 and 595. 105, RSMo; and

 

WHEREAS, a fee of five dollars ($5.00) is assessed as costs in each court proceeding filed in any court in the state for violation of a criminal law of the state, including an infraction and violation of a municipal or county ordinance; and

 

WHEREAS, each year the sum of $250,000.00 is allocated to the Crime Laboratories Funds. Seventy-five percent (75%) of the balance goes into the Crime Victims' Compensation Fund. The remaining twenty-five percent ( 25%) goes to the State Services to Victims Fund; and

 

WHEREAS, the Department of Public Safety will have funds available in the State Services for Victims Fund for fiscal year available for award on July 1, 2004, and Kansas City, Missouri, is an "eligible applicant" under the rules and regulations of the Program; and

 

WHEREAS, in 2003, there were nearly 4,000 arrests and victims in Kansas City for domestic violence assault; it is in the best interests of Kansas City, Missouri, and its citizens to apply for a grant from the State of Missouri, Department of Public Safety, to secure assistance for citizens who have suffered physical or mental injury and abuse through these criminal acts; and

 

WHEREAS, the Domestic Violence Victim Assistance Program provides to victims of domestic violence much needed support, encouragement and explanation of court proceedings, it assists prosecutors in case preparation at the Municipal Court level and trial de novo level, as well as notify victims and witnesses of continued court dates, encourage participation in prosecution and make appropriate court and social service referrals; NOW, THEREFORE,

 

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF KANSAS CITY:

 

That the Mayor is authorized and requested to submit a grant application in the amount of $66,697.60 to the State of Missouri, Department of Public Safety, under the State Services to Victims Fund, to provide funds for a Victim-Assistance Program.

 

________________________________________________________