RESOLUTION NO. 000044
the Municipal Court D.U.I. Task Force; setting forth the duties of the Task
Force; and appointing the chairman and members of the Task Force.
IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF KANSAS CITY:
1. That the Council hereby establishes the Municipal Court D.U.I. Task Force
for the purpose of strengthening drunk driving enforcement and ultimately
making the streets of Kansas City safer.
2. That the duties of the D.U.I. Task Force are as follows:
study the existing typical terms of D.U.I. plea bargains in the Kansas City
Municipal Court and make specific recommendations as to how the plea bargain
process could be improved to lower the risk of repeat offenders and reduce the
number of alcohol-related accidents in the City.
recommend sentencing guidelines that strengthen drunk driving enforcement for
Municipal Court judges.
3. That the chairman and members of the Municipal Court D.U.I. Task Force will
be appointed by the Mayor.
4. That the following persons have been appointed by the Mayor to serve on the
Williford, National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (Task Force
Deborah Neal, Kansas City, Missouri Municipal Court
Dennis Eckold, Kansas City, Missouri Police Department
Ed Ford, City Council
Potter, City Prosecutor
Knight, Jackson County Prosecutors Office
Purvis, Purvis & Gentry, P. C., municipal criminal defense bar
5. That the Municipal Court D.U.I. Task Force is directed to present its
recommendations to the Mayor and Council by March 15, 2000.